[geeks] Any Ultra 20 owners out there?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 14 15:40:52 CST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 16:26, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
<snip>

> I would be very interested in what kind of clock system the U20 has, so
> please let us know if you find out.

>From memory, the multiplier was 11x, and the original CPU was at 200
MHz, which leaves the HT at 5x200 = 1000 MHz (again, from memory).

When last I looked, the latest BIOS has all options locked
(unchangeable), but my non-standard 5 MHz x 11 "bump" remains.

> > I used the cooling solution that came with the new CPU, it has 4 pipes
> > where the original piece had two, so I decided it was "better", though
> > it otherwise looks smaller...
>
> The Opteron heatsink is nice one with heat pipes and a very good fan.
> It's better than most aftermarket coolers and was designed for 24/7
> server usage.

The cooler looked good, but where the original had a shroud over the fan
to get hot air away from the CPU, the "stock" cooler does not.

Since I am not doing anything drastic with my CPU, I am sure the OEM
cooler will suffice. The big "whippy-doo" cooler from the original
Opteron will go into my HTPC that I plan to build around this "spare"
CPU. I'm going to use a HTPC caser I got on sale a while ago and a
craptacular ASUS MB (A8N-VM SE - $54 from Newegg.com).

I just installed some patches, so I'll try and take a look at teh BIOS
again and follow-up with actual details from this system.

Lionel