[geeks] New Mail Client

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Feb 14 15:30:37 CST 2007

Tue, 13 Feb 2007 @ 15:56 -0500, Phil Stracchino said:

> I'm still pretty happy with mutt and Thunderbird, except for two
> Thunderbird annoyances:
>  - it won't use vcards
>  - the entire UI becomes unresponsive while it's fetching mail

I see this off and on too.

Another thing I see is that if it is updating the folder I'm currently
in and I try to delete things, it will occasionally delete the *WRONG*
email.

That's not just annoying, that's dangerous.

It must be a race condition between the header display widget and the
callback that get the info on the message to delete.

> The latter has to be just bad design.  It's a stupid flaw for a
> multithreaded app to have.

Except for the CPU eating bug, I have yet to see Thunderbird use two
CPUs.

KDE, because it uses so many little ioslave processes, actually does use
multiple CPUs, but most of the apps don't.

It is something about the Qt C++ code not being designed for
multithreading.

Qt 4.0 and KDE 4.0 are supposed to be multi-core from the start by
design.

--
shannon / Asus A8N5X - Opteron 170 at 2.5GHz  | But you know, a little Sun Ultra 1
-------'  2GB RAM - nVidia 7900GS          | is doing all the hard work...