[geeks] Dual Core Rules: your bugs will run twice as fast

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Feb 13 15:22:01 CST 2007

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:03:38 -0500, Francois Dion wrote:
> I found the same with 64 bit windows, support just suck, half of 3rd
> party software cant run at all, driver support is not that great. 64
> bit linux suck a bit less but is still not ready for primetime.

Odd. I've found 64-bit Linux (well Ubuntu) ok, although getting 32-bit
stuff running can sometimes be a pain. Trick for a browser in
Ubuntu ... install Swifterfox rather than Firefox as it is 32-bit
allowing all the plugins to work as well as they usually do.

> Solaris is the only really transparent 64 bit solution on x86/x64.

I hadn't tried it, but I'm not surprised ... Sun (and to be fair other
Unix vendors) managed their own 32->64 bit migration very elegantly.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  No security outfit ever went broke relying on the stupidity of users.