[geeks] Solaris 10 Remote-Root Exploit

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 12 10:32:54 CST 2007

Wait a minute, I just tried this on my local box, and found the following results from my WinXP laptop:

The Command telnet -l"-froot" 192.168.1.249 alerts me to the fact that I am not on the system console and dumps the attempt.

The command telnet -l"-flionel" 192.168.1.249 prompts me with a login request "login:".

This system is Solaris 10 06/06 (Update 2) with most recent patches applied, and no significant effort to secure the box...

Using the telnet client on the Solaris 10 06/06 machine to access itself also fails, because I am not on the system console - i get "not on system console" and the connection is terminated.

My thought is that this *exploit* requires that you have either disabled the system console check on telnet *or* you are sitting on the console when you do this. It's a problem, but I think the original poster (pointed to by slashdot) disabled the telnet check for root on system console.

Lionel