[geeks] PCI LVD-SCSI in a G4 Mac

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sat Feb 10 18:05:56 CST 2007

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Are there any special firmware etc. requirements for LVD-SCSI PCI cards
> to work in a G4 Mac, or can I just give him any generic PCI LVD-SCSI
> card and expect it to work?  Are specific cards known to work, and if
> so, which ones?  Cards I have available include Adaptec AHA29160 and
> AHA39160, Symbios (I think), and a dual-channel LSI Logic board.  If the
> VXA tape drive he wants to plug into it will work single-ended, the
> options expand to include AHA2940 and BusLogic BT956C or BT958C.  (My
> VXA-1 worked fine on either the AHA2940 or the BT958C, but I don't know
> whether he has a VXA-1 or a VXA-2 yet.)

If it's not gonna be used for booting, no issues.

IMO your friend's best bet is an LSI Logic-based card. You can get
drivers for them from Atto. IIRC Adaptec SCSI drivers aren't available
for any PPC OS X newer than 10.2; no idea if they'll work with anything
newer.

A SCSI VXA-2 will be LVD, and will thus work fine with an SE SCSI HBA

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com