[geeks] What happens when the humidity is too low?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:02:59 CST 2007

On 2/5/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: Dave K <davek08054 at gmail.com>
> >In particular, I'm having some tape drive issues, and I'm wondering if
> >the fact that the drive specs say a minimum of 20%RH and right now I
> >have 8%RH has anything to do with it?
>
> The info I'm seeing on the web indicates that relative humidity should be around 45%, if
> you're at 8%, you appear to be way off the mark, and well beyond Mfg. specifications...
>
> I had a job assembling servers (from individual parts) in an office space that was a
> static electricity festival, and that was in no small part due to the low humidity (not
> sure of the percentage)...
>
> I would believe anything can happen in an environment that far off-spec...

A single zap may cause an intermittent problem--multiple small static
discharges can cause component failure.  Big contributors: poor
grounding, low ambient humidity, excessive amounts of paper in the
data center.  I actually received training on this several jobs ago
when I was supporting HW/SW labs at $network_juggernaut.

Current $ork has a colo/ISP DC they run, and the temperature is too
high, the AH is too low, and the power & floor (not raised) is poorly
grounded.  Nothing like getting a sizable static zap off the 220 power
bars to make it apparent why they have HW issues.

Add 'static' or possibly 'static control' to your search terms and you
may get more hits.

=Nadine=