[geeks] PC Power Supply: attention Lionel

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 3 10:37:42 CST 2007

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/02/03 Sat AM 10:20:26 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] PC Power Supply: attention Lionel

>Lionel,
>
>I think it was you saying you were looking to split the 24-pin power
>connector to use on the ATX and CPU vcore power connections on your
>motherboard.
>
>Don't: they aren't the same thing.
>
>vcore is a pair of 12V lines.
>
>11 and 12 on the EATX connector are a 12V and a 3V connector.
>
>The whole time you were talking about that something worried me about
>it, but I couldn't remember why.
>
>The extra 4 pins on EATX and the 4-pin vcore plug are different voltages
>and amps.

All is fine - I needed a VCORE for my MB, and the 12V adapter I used worked perfectly.

The situation was, 20 pin PS, 20 pin ATX and 4 pin VCORE on MB. I needed to get 12V to the VCORE socket, and the $2 adapter I found at Microcenter fixed me right up - the machine booted right up once I added the adapter.

I put together a second system, and the MB wouldn't boot up, the lights on the keyboard kept cycling on and off. Turned out, after much head scratching, that the problem was I had reversed the keyboard and mouse connections :^( Switched them around, and booted up fine (sort of, but that's another story)...

Lionel