[geeks] Vista cost

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Feb 1 10:48:30 CST 2007

Brian Dunbar wrote:
> Frank Van Damme wrote:
>> Who would want DRM... AT ALL??
>>

> Why (irony) that's the best part!  You don't have to want it - it just
> _happens_.

Yep.

Although, there are times when something like DRM could be useful.

Online gaming is the primary one I'm thinking of.

DRM and DRM-ish things help prevent cheating and enforces the use of
authorized binaries and server rules.

If any of you remember early online games like xtank, you'll remember
that quite a few game servers used primitive DRM by only allowing
binaries that they and distributed themselves to connect to their server.

Of course, Microsoft is building DRM into both software and hardware,
and it is mandatory, not voluntary, and covers everything whether it
needs protection or not, and against the user's will.

Quite a big difference from the limited DRM I'm thinking of.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if