[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Thu Feb 1 09:20:31 CST 2007

>>> I don't see why they don't implement compressed batch SMTP.
>> Because the resources whose use it would improve are not worth
>> improving (or at least are not generally seen that way), as compared
>> to the downsides it would bring.
> Looked at QMQP?

Then, no; now, yes.

I don't see that it addresses any of the points I raised against
"compressed batch SMTP".

It makes no provisions for compression, nor for batching beyond what
SMTP provides.  Its only win, really, is its reduction of round-trips,
and it has significant downsides as compared to SMTP (notably, the
inability to avoid receiving the whole message if none of the
recipients are acceptable, and the lack of differential acceptance for
different recipients).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca