[geeks] nerd reading for a Friday night ... old-skool waxed

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Thu Feb 1 02:09:05 CST 2007

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 08:12:48 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> I forget the sytax was it "%"? To send email using a combined UUCP/DNS
> path. For example "gsm002%gsm at mendelson.com", or was it
> "gsm002!gsm at mendelson.com"?

'%' is the conventional smtp mechanism to specify a route through an
smtp destination. However many mail gateways used alternative forms, so
both mechanisms were perfectly possible. It was also possible to hack
support for a fake .uucp domain and manually route that through a
uucp-connected machine ... I did that myself in about 1994 but it was
rarely used and was eventually dropped.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 "Why are we hiding from the police, daddy?"