[geeks] compact stereo systems

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Dec 30 20:08:37 CST 2007

On Dec 30, 2007, at 12:30 AM, James Fogg wrote:

>>> So far the only shop I've found online that carries the Teac above
> is
>>> www.jr.com.
>>
>> Try Crutchfield.com.
>>
>> Or, do as I do and get a killer powered speaker system with a
> subwoofer
>> or "home theater" system for your PC and use iTunes or an MP3 decoder
>> (like a Roku Soundbridge).
>

> Another hint, they are called "shelf systems" on the Crutchfield site.
> Looks like they have some nice choices.

Just a note: there are three units on Crutchfield's site that sound
decent: the two Denon units and the Onkyo.

The others are kinda blah.

I've not been able to find a JVC shelf unit to listen to yet.  I'm
just in the wrong town I guess.

I found an LG LFD750 in Best Buy, and it actually seems pretty decent,
though it was very hard to hear it because Best Buy is so horribly
noisy.  It's UI is a little funky, but I could live with that.

I really didn't find anything like the mid-range Teac units anywhere,
and I guess I probably won't.  I could get the one from J&R, but I was
hoping to demo it, even though I'm pretty sure it is a nice unit.

I found out about an independent A/V dealer in town, and I'm going to
check them out this week.

I thought they'd all died, but at least one seems to have survived.

I really think the big box store could do better.  Just some clever re-
arranging of the store would make it easier to evaluate units.  A
little bit of ceiling covering would cut a lot of the noise down.

Oh well... welcome to hell.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com