[geeks] Fun Topic:  What do you carry?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 28 22:33:26 CST 2007

>From: Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
>Date: 2007/12/28 Fri PM 04:11:30 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Fun Topic:  What do you carry?

>On Dec 28, 2007, at 2:21 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> It lives in the backpack with all the other USB stuff.  Wherever I
>>> go, I
>>> have network access.
>>>
>>> I'd like to take one of $ork's low-power evaluation boards and
>>> turn it
>>> into a truck PC that would act as a wireless access point (and
>>> provide a
>>> semipermanent home for the EVDO dongle).  Combined with a little
>>> squid
>>> and Google Ads magic, I could not only have network access
>>> everywhere,
>>> but also share it with others and get some tiny trickle of cash back.
>>
>> I've long wanted a car network access port.  I didn't think of the
>> reselling idea though.
>
>It is an incredibly tempting idea...

You could force every, say, fifth page to a google ad-laden page, and increase
your revenue OR do like the old "free" dial-up providers did, and surround the
page with ads (just wrap all returned web pages with a frameset that has a
suitable frame along one side that contains the google ads ;^) (fixed-width,
of course ;^)

I suspect the challenge would be to make the truck a rolling advertisement for
the free wi-fi service (i.e. "If the red light is above is lit, this truck is
providing free WiFi access."), which would also make the truck a target for
curious vandals and probably be something you wouldn't want to use as your
daily driver. If you want to put some coin in your pocket, the real answer may
be to get someone to pay to advertise on the side of your truck contingent on
your promise to park in conspicuous places whenever possible...

I agree, it is an interesting idea - if the iPhone was faster you could do
something similar with that... Wnder what it would take to do something like
that with my "all I can eat" data plan for my Motorola Q phone...

Lionel