[geeks] small LCD monitor needed

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 22 02:39:30 CST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007, at 7:35 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> Those tend to have really low resolution, I imagine, and I'd
>>> personally only want a 1024x768 screen, but then I tend to manage
>>> through GUIs, not CLI...
>>
>> All I really need is a text display, so it can be "low" resolution.
>>
>> It would be nicer if resolution was higher, but the primary purpose
>> is
>> to give a PC a console, since the stupid things don't have proper
>> serial console support.
>
> Would a RealWeasel help?

No.

For one thing, they suck dead bunnies through a straw.

Fake serial BIOS is sometimes worse than having video BIOS.

But more importantly, a lot of systems can't use an add-in card or
even a VGA BIOS hack to get a fake serial console.

I really need a screen and keyboard, honest, even if only to first
enable the fake serial crap... :)

So much pain could be eliminated if someone would just write a serial
text interface to BIOS.  It can't be that hard.