[geeks] OTA tuner with ethernet?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:37:19 CST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 12:34 PM,  <nate at portents.com> wrote:
> > This is almost what I would need:
> > http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun
> >
> > But it is just that, a networked tuner. It requires linux+mythtv or
> > windows media center etc to do the scheduling and recording.
>
> That's not a bad way to go if you were to combine the HDHomeRun with a Mac
> Mini running Elgato's EyeTV.  Elgato even sells it in a bundle:
>
> http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/HDHomeRun/product1.en.html
>
> And as someone who's been running MythTV for years now, I can say that a
> Mac Mini + EyeTV + HDHomeRun would be *far* easier to set up and manage.
>
> - Nate

I just downloaded libhdhomerun, they have source code to do some basic
stuff. Looks pretty straightforward, uses UDP. Just got to send the
command to tune and start streaming UDP. Made a program that captured
an icecast stream when icecasting started (mid 90s), this seems not
too bad, similar challenge. All I'd have to do is run this on the
solaris file server. This thing actually has 2 tuners so I could
actually record 2 programs easily. It is only 20Mbps per stream.

Is there a source of free OTA schedules available online, either xml
or plaintext (even better)?

Francois