[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 16 11:25:40 CST 2007

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/12/16 Sun AM 12:44:23 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

<snip>

>I went to the local CompUSA earlier, Saturday, and I was shocked at
>how high the prices were.
>
>What discount?
>
>Nearly all of the prices were higher, despite being labeled as 10% off.

CompUSA is no longer CompUSA - no more sales int he stores, instead the stores
are being run by a liquidator, who reset the prices to "list" and is marching
the prices down each week to maximize revenue for each item. The stores will
not get any more inventory ever again - if it isn't in the store now, it will
never be in the store...

>Yes, some things like software were discounted over normal, but most
>of their items go on sale every Sunday, and there were no sales at
>all, making the average prices quite a bit higher than normal.

CompUSA is still running sales on line, but the stores are no longer
considered part of CompUSA - the on-line storefront shows in-store items, but
they are only available for delivery...

>One nice thing, the only one I could see: they store was very well
>labeled and organized.  Before it was always a mess with missing
>labels, poor stock layout, etc.  If they'd operated like this for the
>last few years, they might not be selling out.
>
>Really underwhelmed.
>
>Just for example: 300GB Seagate SATA drive: $190, clearance price.
>
>Next door at Best Buy, 500GB for $180.
>
>Really.

On-line it is $99, but only available for delivery (no in-store pick-up)

>Oh wait... it was always like that... :)
>
>NOTE: that was not an endorsement of Best Buy.  I also went there for
>an hour or so, and endured the usual clueless workers, extreme noise
>level, confusing and cluttered layout, mostly low quality products,
>and weak selection that I've come to expect from "super" stores.
>
>Honestly... I went in several stores, and all I could think of is how
>far downhill they have all gone just in the last 10 years.

BestBuy is starting to carry Antec items, but the prices are a bit high, IMHO.

But, you can get a nice case in a local retail store if you aren't too price-
sensitive...

Lionel