[geeks] Mac memory falling in price

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 17:19:37 CST 2007

On 12 Dec 2007, at 20:16, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Not really.
>
> You compared memory that is "low end" compared to Mac memory.

> Try comparing the same FB-DIMM quality for a PC and you'll find prices
> are about the same.

I think Xeons are the only rigs that use FB-DIMMs (hence the use in
Mac Pros). I think the same FBDIMM RAM is actually slightly cheaper if
you buy it for generic Xeon boxen because you don't have to pay for
the 2 huge blocks of aluminum that are clamped over the Mac Pro
units :) Before you ask, early 3rd party RAM for the MAc Pro used
normal heat plates but it overheated due to the slightly jankey
airflow design that Apple's interpretation of 'BTX' inflicts on the
world.

I'd like to see it drop in price though as I could do with another 2GB
for mine.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: