[geeks] Dual Quad-Core servers on sale at Dell (again) + Dual Dual-core

Nick B. nick at pelagiris.org
Mon Dec 10 13:20:40 CST 2007

It's not a hard requirement, in fact you should be able to boot most opterons
on a single dimm.  It's pure preformance, each opteron has two memory
controllers, each supporting two or four dimms (or in theory one).  To get the
best preformance you need two dimms per CPU.  Intel's bad design with a FSB
supporting both standard I/O and Memory (and everything else) forces (allows?)
them to use a single slightly faster dual channel memory controller.
	Nick