[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

John Francini francini at mac.com
Mon Dec 10 00:48:24 CST 2007

On 9 Dec 2007, at 19:38, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 06:42:18PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>> Ohno!  Wherever will I go now to find overpriced consumer-grade "IT"
>> crap?
>
> WHERE WILL I GET $35 ETHERNET CABLES NOW????
>
> They won't be missed.  I've got Directron, Frys, and MicroCenter all
> down the street.

Unfortunately, those of us here in the Northeast (New England, in
particular), will have only:

o small mom-pop computer stores that overcharge

o small mom-pop computer stores that carry way off-brand stuff

o the Apple Store in Rockingham Park Mall

o what passes for a computer parts selection at Best Lie and Circuit
Twitty, or (gag me) Wal-Mart

o schlepping to the MicroCenter in Cambridge, Mass. (minimum 40
minute drive from NH border)

o mail/Internet -- which eliminates the "instant gratification/saw
it, felt it, played with it" factor.

I'd LOVE to see a Fry's (or several) come to the East Coast.
However, they are taking their own sweet time in expanding to the
East. If they're only in Texas by now, it'll take them decades to
make it up to the Northeast, and by then I'll be past needing (or
wanting) computer parts...

According to the various articles, the new owners of the chain
they're about to bury are indeed trying to sell off *some* of the
locations to competitors like MC.  The NH locations were profitable
-- when they closed all the Massachusetts stores, they spared the two
New Hampshire ones because they made money.

We shall see how this proceeds...

john
nashua, nh