[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Dec 9 09:46:56 CST 2007

Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> Also, I note that Halo on the PC is so much slower than Quake or
> Unreal. I like to think this is because of the console - no one could
> play Quake at regular Quake speed on the Xbox because they can't
> control it with an analog stick. Perhaps the game was simply designed
> at a slower pace, though, I don't really know :).

To be fair, Quake and Unreal Tournament are like a speed addict on too
much coffee.  They're unrealistically, implausibly frenetic, as though
you're playing on fast-forward.  The game rewards rushing near-blindly
around at breakneck speed, totally disregarding cover, firing at
anything that moves and lobbing grenades or rockets blindly into random
pockets where it's possible another player might be.  Halo unfolds at a
much saner and more realistic speed.

But then, Quake and UT aren't *supposed* to be realistic.  They evolved
into pure fragfests with barely even a semblance of a single-player
game.  Death is a minor inconvenience, you'll respawn in a few seconds.
 Frankly, that bores me.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.