[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 19:19:32 CST 2007

On Dec 8, 2007 7:42 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> > Well, it's finally happened - CompUSA is closing their last 100 store
> > fronts in USA...
>
> Ohno!  Wherever will I go now to find overpriced consumer-grade "IT"
> crap?  I'm still irritated at them for borging Computer City and
> replacing them with something not nearly as nifty.
>
> --
> Jonathan Patschke
> Elgin, TX
> USA

the liquidators told the people in the knoxville that the store will close
in the middle of february, 2008
the fellow i spoke with will have 10 years with compusa on december 26th.
they have not been told about any severence packages or if they will receive
help finding another job

important: they don't know what will happen to current service contracts.
if you have a service contract, you might want to contact them.

the discounted sales begin this coming wednesday.
(no returns.)

personally, i hate to see compusa go out of business.
they are the only credible computer store in knoxville.
compusa does have limitations but they were known and it was easy to
purchase items & get information within there limitations.
the compusa credit card (run by household finance, IIRC) was very generous:
i would save the money to buy a new laptop and charge it interest-frree for
8-24  months.  my money drew interest while it sat in the bank under this
offer.  this arrangement simplified the credit card business but i always
wondered if this cost them more than their own credit card operation.

the remaining stores are best buy, ciruit city, staples, office depot,
officemax.
none are computer stores.
circuit city is okay in you don't have questions.
best buy sales people can be misleading.

compusa had the best deals but still had manufacturer;s rebates (which means
iffy payments).
the number of e-bates was growing and relatively easy to deal and were paid
out in a dependable fashion.
best buy has almost no rebates which is easier and cheaper time-wise.
i think the manufacturer's rebates hurt them as best buy was moving to a
discounted prices because the rebates were pre-applied (like sam's club).