[geeks] Global Warming questions...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Wed Dec 5 23:23:13 CST 2007

> this is why i -really-detest- <spit> the gerrymandered 'estimates' of
> the crushed car's emissions.  nobody seems interested in actually
> -measuring- what they're taking off the road, maybe because it
> wouldn't be nearly as much as they claim.

That way, US car makers can fudge the figures and look better than they
are.  The canm send stripped down models for testing (I believe weight
was a factor in the calculation) while foreign cars had to submit a
street version (hence the evolution of the rubber doughnut spare)

> " I once had a 73 Toyota that just before I junked it in
> " 85, it went through inspection.  It passed the California pollution
> " standards for 85.  The guys at the inspection were asking me how I
> " did it because they couldn't believe it. (Neither could I for that
> " matter.)
>
> i still have the '95 emissions readout from my bone-stock '66 rambler:
>
> HC	118PPM
> LIMIT	4000
>
> CO	1.80%
> LIMIT	4.00
>
> CO2	13.2%
> at 0620 rpm
>
> iirc it had about 130k on the 'clock' at the time.

Not bad, not bad at all. With a little careful tuning you probably could
get those values even lower.

Bob