[geeks] Questionable Voltage

Wed Dec 5 17:50:10 CST 2007

> I managed to get something unplugged just now.  It appears as though
> I'm probably not losing enough voltage to cause my flakiness.  It
> starts at 120.1V and lowers down to about 114.9.  That's still within
> the specified input range of my devices, I believe.

Probably; most computerish-device specs I've seen are 100-240V.

Five volts of drop, though, probably means at least twenty or so watts
of heat, perhaps more, depending on how much juice you're pulling.  If
it's spread out over the length of the wire, no big deal - especially
since knob-and-tube (AIUI) has better cooling than modern insulated
wire.  But if it's in the form of a bad junction....

>> I am reassured, though; it seemed odd for _you_ to be asking those
>> questions, and I'm glad to hear you're already aware of the things I
>> felt needed bringing up.
> Coming from you, I'll take that as high praise.  8-)

And *I* take *that* as high praise.  Thank you.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca