[geeks] Questionable Voltage

Wed Dec 5 09:52:29 CST 2007

>> [...]
> I'm aware of all of the above.  I just am unable to measure without
> unplugging something, which I can't do right now.

One thing you might be able to do is to unplug a plug just enough to
get voltmeter probes in to touch the prongs.  Then compare that to a
measurement made at the breaker box, or at an outlet on un unloaded
circuit (but make sure it's on the same phase).

> The breaker panel is almost new.  The wiring is 80+ years old.

Urk.  Under those circumstances, I'd consider the wiring guilty until
exonerated, myself.

>> Given the questions you're asking, I offer the thought that you
>> might actually not be qualified to wire it up yourself.
> Oh, I've rewired an entire house before and wired in generator backup
> systems and rotary phase converters before.  It's just that wiring
> this old is outside of my experience.  There's still knob-and-tube in
> places, so it appears I have my work cut out for me.

Well, knob-and-tube is outside my direct experience too; I was speaking
from general principles, not from having worked with 80-year-old wiring
personally.

I am reassured, though; it seemed odd for _you_ to be asking those
questions, and I'm glad to hear you're already aware of the things I
felt needed bringing up.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca