[geeks] Questionable Voltage

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 01:03:01 CST 2007

My house is pretty old.  Mostly ungrounded outlets, but there are a
smattering of grounded ones around.

One of those outlets has a power strip with two computers plugged into
it.  Both of those computers are acting flaky.  The one with the big
honking power supply (650ishW) and fancy newfangled Geforce 8-series
video card is quite a bit flakier.  The other machine has a whole bunch
of disk in it, and the only time it seems to lock up solid is when I
hammer on all the disks at the same time.

Will the breaker on the circuit pop before I pull enough current to drop
the voltage on the circuit, or might I be pulling more than the circuit
can take and causing my problems?  Might an outlet with a separate
ground pin be installed without a corresponding upgrade in the wiring?
I can test all that stuff, but it would involve unplugging stuff, and I
can't do that right away.

I hope I don't have to rewire up there soon, but I'm afraid that I might
have to.  This is in my office, and I don't even have everything running
yet.  I wanted to eventually have a 220V 20A plug up there with a good
sized UPS, but running the new home run from up there to the basement
two floors down will be enough of a pain that I might not want to do it
myself.

Peace...  Sridhar