[geeks] Global Warming questions...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Tue Dec 4 22:04:50 CST 2007

> The other side of the coin is clean-air measures that impose even
> tighter restrictions on the barely-polluting 70%-or-so of new and nearly
> new cars on the road, but simply ignore the 5% to 10% of old clunkers
> and smog-exempt classic cars that are (by some estimates) responsible
> for up to 60% of the total vehicular air pollution.
>
> One could, of course, assume that they're simply hoping for attrition to
> eventually take care of the clunkers.

This is an argument used to push those car crusher laws.  It is not always true.  If an old car is properly maintained, it is not as bad as claimed.  I once had a 73 Toyota that just before I junked it in 85, it went through inspection.  It passed the California pollution standards for 85.  The guys at rthe inspection were asking me how I did it because they couldn't believe it. (Neither could I for that matter.)

Bob