[geeks] Cell phones: block incoming calls

Joost van de Griek jvdg at sparcpark.net
Tue Dec 4 02:53:01 CST 2007

> If you've got these kinds of problems, a smart phone may be the best
> answer...

Smart phones are undeserving of their moniker, is my experience. I love my
Sony Ericsson P990i, because it allows me to have my phone and my PDA with me
at all times but still only having to carry a single device. But the
integration between the computer part and the phone part is sorely lacking.

SMS (text) messages are messages like anything else, aren't they? So why can't
I simply transfer them from the phone to the computer for archiving?

Even the most basic Email client these days has automatic mail processing
facilities built in. My phone is a more powerful computer than what I had on
my desk some ten years ago. Why doesn't it allow me to put contacts into
groups, then apply rules to incoming calls like, "route incoming calls from
contacts in the business category after 17:00 on workdays and at all times
during the weekend to voice mail"? This should be astonishingly simple to
implement, right?

My experience is that "smart" phones made by phone manufacturers lack in the
PDA department, while those made by PDA manufacturers are lacking on the phone
side of things. All lack proper integration.

,xtG
tsooJ