[geeks] Interesting small NAS chassis from Intel

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 01:40:26 CST 2007

On 3 Dec 2007, at 18:54, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Came across this, thought some might be interested: Intel ss4200-EHW
> [0] server chassis with 4 SATA II bays, Celeron 420 CPU, 512 Meg
> RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, and 4x USB 2.0 ports. Price appears to be
> around $425, but I can't find it in-stock anywhere (several places
> have it for special order).
>
> It isn't the cheapest solution, but to be honest, it isn't that bad
> (if you just want something that will work) - not sure if Solaris
> will run on it (it should), but Intel is pushing it for things like
> Windows Home Server[1] and more mainstream server applications.

I *really* want a lightweight NAS server that's powerficient and
quiet. I tried building one but that failed due to financial
restraints. I tried finding an external unit for the Mac but they are
all USB 2.0. This would fit the bill perfectly. I'd be looking for
around #200-250 GBP and 4 drive bays.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: