[geeks] Global Warming causes...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Dec 3 15:44:48 CST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 11:17 PM, der Mouse wrote:

>> Also, there are other things to consider: coal mining and use
>> generates large amounts of radioactive nuclear material, much of
>> which is pumped into the atmosphere or captured.
>
> Generates?  Or merely dredges out of the ground and brings up into the
> surface ecosystem?

Pick whatever term you like for the end result.

>> Of course, since almost none of the general public even knows coal is
>> radioactive...
>
> This means little; most of the general public - at least in North
> America - is perfectly willing to sign petitions to ban dihydrogen
> monoxide.
>
> It also borders on meaningless to say that coal is radioactive; so is
> damn near everything else.

Damn near everything else is nowhere near as radioactive as coal,
especially when it is mined in large scale and burned.

What a ridiculous statement to make.

>> Humans have evolved during long time periods of rather massive
>> change, and we currently occupy huge temperature differentials.
>
> Huge only with respect to us.  If, say, the mean surface temperature
> of
> our planet were to rise to 600, we'd be hard put to deal.

How is that relevant to a discussion about fractional increases in
temperature?

> And that's a fairly mild increase.  When I was talking about the
> climate taking off into otherwise remote corners of the state space, I
> was talking about things like a mean surface temperature above 1000,
> or

Oh, well that's interesting, but it should be a separate subject.