[geeks] Cell phones: block incoming calls

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Mon Dec 3 15:29:55 CST 2007

I figured we haven't talked enough about cell phones lately. :)

What I want to do is figure out how to never receive incoming calls or
voicemail from a particular number. My phone does not have the
capability itself, and its not a legal issue - no one is "harassing" me
- so I can't/don't want to go to the cops.

Everyone I've read on the web corroborates: cell phone companies aren't
willing to let you call them and ask to have numbers blocked. Just now,
I couldn't get Cingular^WAT&T to do it. After some bitching and moaning
and escalating, the supervisor told me that to block incoming calls for
mobile (but not landline) numbers was against federal law, and they
would like to offer it (as a service, mind), but their hands are tied.
Something about children's protections laws or something. (Eh?)

In a cursory google search, I couldn't find any press releases on this
or anything.

My questions are two:
- Is this actually true? It stinks an awful lot like bullshit.
- Do I have any recourse besides
    1) buying a smartphone, which has software blocking 3rd party
       programs or
    2) just changing my telephone number?

I hate dealing with phone fucking phone companies. Ugh.

- Micah

[0] The conversation went something like this:
Me: I'd like to block some numbers.
Them: We can't do that.
Me: You're the phone company. Of course you can do that.
Them: No, we can't do that.
Me: Escalate me, please.
(The first part is then repeated with the supervisor.)
Me: But you know who is calling me (Caller ID), and landlines can ask
for numbers to be blocked.
Them: Oh right. Well, we *can* do it, we just won't. You see, the feds,
they won't let us!