[geeks] simple DNS / nslookup question

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Mon Dec 3 14:15:09 CST 2007

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:40:01 -0500 (EST), der Mouse wrote:
> Very little is.

But sometimes they're right.

> > Have you any pointers to the spec that indicates fallback-to-address
> > ? (just curious)
>
> RFC2821 section 5, the first paragraph especially.

Doh! (/me slaps head)

Of course RFC2821 is very late so in theory fallback-to-address should
be documented elsewhere. It doesn't appear to be in RFC821, although
that pretty obviously pre-dates the DNS, so implies
fallback-to-address. It's strange reading RFC821 now; I'd forgotten how
many people thought that X.400 would somehow win!

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
        It's a bad idea to let third parties generate outbound mail