[geeks] Global Warming causes...

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Sun Dec 2 03:37:16 CST 2007

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 23:19:53 -0600 (CST), Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Substituting government-run media for advertiser-sponsored media may
> not guarantee accurate reporting...

That's 'government-funded'(*) not 'government-run'. In many cases it
wouldn't matter, but in Britain there's a tradition that the BBC is
independant from government interference. It's a polite fiction of
course and if the BBC were to be too anti-government for too long
something might happen.

Or to put it another way, the most likely leader we've had since the
start of the BBC to head down to the DG (of the BBC)'s office and give
him a swift shark kick to the bollocks was Mad Maggie. She didn't; she
stuck to denouncing the BBC in the Commons.

And I didn't claim the BBC was responsible for accurate reporting
(although it's hardly the worst news organisation out there); just that
it wasn't influenced by advertisers.

*: Strictly speaking the government decides how much the license fee is
   and the people pay. So I could claim the BBC is people funded. Except
   for the oddity of BBC Monitoring and the BBC World Service which are
   directly funded out of the FCO budget.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 This signature has been rot13-encrypted twice, reading it is illegal