[geeks] Global Warming causes...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Dec 2 03:08:07 CST 2007

> > It's a heck of a lot better than someone making a blanket statement
> > citing no
> > evidence.
>
> Not really.
>
> Both would be inaccurate.

To steal a line from Sinclair (with modifications)
All statements are inaccurate, just some are more inaccurate than others.

> > I'm not even sure that too many people know that the "scientific
> > method" is.  It's not that list of steps that most people are taught
> > in school.
> > It's more.  There is a lot of feedback from other scientists in the
> > process.
>
> That's one of the steps you are taught unless your school sucked.
>
> > The claim that Gore was addressing was there was no consensus, so he
> > compared
> > peer-reviewed articles and popular media articles during the same
> > time period.
> > Maybe he picked his time period, I don't know, but there were no
> > peer-reviewed
> > articles saying there was no global warming
>
> Yes, there were and their still are.

Not in the period he looked at.  Again, maybe he didn't look too
hard but I never heard of anybody coming out and saying. "I found
75 articles that said there was no global warming during the time
you said there were none."  Were there?  I want to look them up.

> Also, that doesn't address the idea of what is causing it if it is
> happening.  The correct answer is that we do not know.

Not exactly but we have some darn good theories.  That's the
debate.

> > Why were there no articles in scientific journals?
>
> There were, there are, and their likely will be for some time.

Then name a few so I can look them up.  I'd like to know both sides.

> Also, don't be too gung ho on peer review.
>
> In the early 1900s peer reviewed articles said it was impossible to
> break the sound barrier, and they provided very good models and
> theories on why.

It's the best thing we have at present.  Not perfect, but the best
thing.  Of course they shouldn't have said "impossible" (if they
ever did). And remember, bumblebees can't fly.  But we didn't know
about the formation of vortices at the time.  As far as the sound
barrier, it was darn hard at the time to break it at first.  Now
that we know a bit more about aviation and engineering , it's a
lot easier to do.

Bob