[geeks] Global Warming causes...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Dec 2 02:01:04 CST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 12:34 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>>> There was no consensus at all, and a good number of them reported
>>> cosmic radiation, natural disasters, and orbit variation as larger
>>> factors in global temperature.
>>
>> Explain how.  Maybe some of those might be bogus alternative
>> explanations
>> which have been shown to be just that.  Cosmic radiation (what
>> type, I
>> don't know) sounds a little far fetched.
>
> I've heard "cosmic radiation" cited as a warming factor numerous
> times,
> but have yet to hear a remotely plausible mechanism proposed by which
> cosmic rays could measurably warm the earth.

Cosmic radiation creates aerosols.  We have measured it, and recreated
the effect in the lab numerous times.

The only question is exactly what the effect is, and we also have no
way currently to determine the tonnage created and the exact types and
distribution of compounds created.

It might be significant, it might not matter much at all.

It's a little earlier to say either way, which is true of most other
factors as well.

Unfortunately we can still collect data faster than we can process it.

Also, at least some of our understand of climate change will literally
require us to live through it first.