[geeks] Global Warming causes...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Dec 2 01:32:42 CST 2007

> On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 11:52:35PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > [1] Al Gore and the IPCC report writers got the Nobel Peace Prize this past
> > year - not the Nobel Prize in Physics or Chemistry, those are given to
> > scientists who make discoveries...
>
> They also gave one to Yassar Arafat, a terrorist and crook.

Nobody's perfect.

> > [2]
> http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/04/cooler_heads_needed_on_warmi
> > ng.html
> >
> > Interesting quote from above George Will article:
> > inevitable" now that it is "well established" that the Northern Hemisphere's
> > climate "has been getting cooler since about 1950."
>

> It may be, there has been no reliable statisical evidence that it has
> gotten warmer. As I said before, the NASA study that was the crux of
> their argument was found to have Y2K bug which when fixed, produced
> results that support the above statement.

Right now, I'm looking at a graph made from data from th U.S. National
Academy of Sciences, National Center for Atmospheric Research and the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Hadley Center for Climate
Predictions and Research which shows a linear increase from about 1920
to 1940 then a small downward trend to about 1973 then a bigger increase
though the present year.  No "warmer in the thirties".  If you smooth out
the curve over the last hundred years, there is a general increase that
looks remarkably like the beginning of a parabola.  Where it goes from
there, who knows?
The IPCC report 2001 is rather interesting with a prediction that it's
very likely (90-99% level of confidence) the earth's mean surface
temperature will increase by 4.5-9.7 degrees F between
2000 and 2100 with a most probable increase of 5.8 degrees F.  I do
hope they are wrong. This is also a global average.  Some areas get
hotter and some can get cooler, but the average is predicted to
increase.  I feel for people who live in deserts and drylands if this
happens.

Bob