[geeks] Global Warming causes...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sun Dec 2 00:35:35 CST 2007

> That's 32 years ago.
>
> And Global Cooling was not the trivial phenomenon you mention, discussed in
> only a single publication (Newsweek) - it was pretty prevalent for a while in
> the mainstream press as I recall.

Scientific journals?  Newsweek doesn't qualify.

> But hey, no worries, Global Warming causes Global Cooling![0]
>
> And merely talking/writing about global warming makes the world a more
> peaceful place[1].

That's an arguement made against global warming.  "Science for Sale"
Nightline, ABC News. I can give you the date when I get back to work.

> I'm not sure which George Will piece you are referring to, but one in 2006
> mentioned several publications, not just Newsweek.[2]
>
> [0] http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/news/freeze.html
>
> [1] Al Gore and the IPCC report writers got the Nobel Peace Prize this past
> year - not the Nobel Prize in Physics or Chemistry, those are given to
> scientists who make discoveries...
>
> [2]
> http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/04/cooler_heads_needed_on_warmi
> ng.html
>
> Interesting quote from above George Will article:
>
> While worrying about Montana's receding glaciers, Schweitzer, who is 50,
> should also worry about the fact that when he was 20 he was told to be
> worried, very worried, about global cooling. Science magazine (Dec. 10, 1976)
> warned of "extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation." Science Digest (February
> 1973) reported that "the world's climatologists are agreed" that we must
> "prepare for the next ice age." The Christian Science Monitor ("Warning:
> Earth's Climate is Changing Faster Than Even Experts Expect," Aug. 27, 1974)
> reported that glaciers "have begun to advance," "growing seasons in England
> and Scandinavia are getting shorter" and "the North Atlantic is cooling down
> about as fast as an ocean can cool." Newsweek agreed ("The Cooling World,"
> April 28, 1975) that meteorologists "are almost unanimous" that catastrophic
> famines might result from the global cooling that the New York Times (Sept.
> 14, 1975) said "may mark the return to another ice age." The Times (May 21,
> 1975) also said "a major cooling of the climate is widely considered
> inevitable" now that it is "well established" that the Northern Hemisphere's
> climate "has been getting cooler since about 1950."

It would ne nice if your references were a little bit better.  Just above
has only one, maybe two that might be considered scientific journals.  I
hope some of the quotes are not taken out of context.
Footnote 0 says "findings that suggest that global warming can sometimes
lead to cold weather or even a worldwide freeze". How does this say there
is no global warming?
Footnote 1 yes, he did get a Nobel Peace Prize.  That surprised me too.
Didn't seem like something that "promotes peace".  But it doesn't take away
from his arguement.  I hope you're not saying that anyone who is not a
scientist has no right to promote a particular point of view or comment
on it.
Footnote 2 is linking to a website that is definitely not scientific in the
least and seems to have its own agenda.

Bob