[geeks] Finally got my new pc working

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 1 23:02:20 CST 2007

>From: "Michael C. Vergallen" <mvergall at telenet.be>
>Date: 2007/12/01 Sat PM 08:47:02 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Finally got my new pc working

>Damn it's been a pain to get a sub 400 euro ( aprox 600 USD) PC that was
>capable of running Linux  &  VMware . e.i one with enough ram & CPU
>power...because those cheap motherboards are a pain ( I ended up getting
>3 boards and of them only one was functioning).
>
>The system consists  of  a:
>
>- X-gear  case
>-  AMD  4400 Mhz dual core cpu
>- 3 Gb dual channel of ram ( Soon to be 4 GB just my suplier was a bit
>slow on comming up with the 4th GB)
>- 160 Gb WD SATA HD
>- 2 DVD-RW drives ( I like having 2 of them because it allows to
>dedicate one for use under VMWare and have another to play with under
>linux also I burn a lot of dvd's with films I have to edit)
>- Nvidia GX8600 card 512 MB Ram
>
>This system makes a nice little workstation. However I'm still wondering
>why those vendors don't test their motherboards a little more...

Motherboard model? Just curious...

Were I to build a low-cost system, I'd use part like the following:

CPU - Dual-Core E2140 CPU (1.6 GHz, 1 Meg shared cache) $60 (retail)
(http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0266759)

MB - Intel DG33TLM - Supports all the latest CPUs, 4 DIMM slots $129
(http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/dg33tl/index.htm)
(http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0267413)

Memory - 4 Gig (2x 2 Gig Kits DDR2-6400 Mushkin) $120
(http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0250059)

HD - 250 Gig Segate 7200.10 SATA-300 drive $75
(http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0277003)

Optical - Dual Layer DVD burner, 20x Sony $40
(http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0266945)

Case - Antec NSK4480B w/380 Watt Antec PS - $90

Total: $515

I would consider upgrading the CPU to the Intel E4500 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo CPU
with 2 Meg shared cache for an additional $50
(http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0277442)

But of course, these are US prices, all from one supplier, and a lot of brand-
name pieces (Intel, Seagate, Sony, Antec, Mushkin), but it would be a nice
setup (albeit using integrated video, the Intel GMA 3100 - discrete graphics
would be over $100 to out-perform this integrated video).

Lionel