[geeks] Goodbye, I guess

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Aug 30 13:59:04 CDT 2007

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
> " Yeah, I have the impression many of the Indo-Asian-origin faiths
> " encourage believers to think about these things (and to think in
> " general), whereas Western-origin ones mostly seem to want their
> " adherents to just sit down, shut up, and believe as they're told.
>
> well, christianity and islam certainly.  judaism seems to have
> absorbed a large dose of greek philosophical ovjectivity, but i don't
> know if there's enough known about the practice of previous western
> religions to truly say what they were like.

Yeah, Judaism with its Talmudic scholars tends not to follow that mold.
 And there are even capital-C "Christian" sects that escape the trap of
unquestionable dogma here and there.  (Consider some of the Jesuits, for
example.)

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.