[geeks] Goodbye, I guess

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Thu Aug 30 09:26:01 CDT 2007

> I'd like to take some 9th grade students and have them attempt the California
> Teacher Certification test that seems so hard for teachers to pass. I think
> (but may be off, so grab a grain of salt when you read the following), but it
> was something like 40% failed the test the first time they took it, and 15%
> need to take it three times to pass it. The teat was aimed at the 9th grade
> level, again, IIRC.
>
> Lionel

I think the (second word of the) last line says more than it was meant to. :)

When I became a teacher in JC, NJ, I had to take an "area" test (subject area) and I heard how difficult it was.   I took the Bio and General Science test.  IIRC there were 160 MC questions.  I answered all but two (because I actually had no clue about names of marine biology specific lab equipment).  My score was 800 (perfect score).  I blew the interview (made the stuporintendent look like an ass, which he was) but they called me in later due to an "emergency" opening.  Right before my second interview, the interviewer's secretary told me that she heard a, "Holy s**t!" coming from the office whe he was looking through the applications.  She rushing in to see what was wrong.  He said, "Get this guy!"  When this person interviewed me, he told me he never saw a perfect score, usually they were between 400 and 500.  I dunno. I thought the test was easier than some finals I made up during my orivate/Catholic school stint.  That was 27 years ago.  They have since toughen up the t
 est so
 I'm told.

Bob