[geeks] Discuss this quote...

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 23:39:19 CDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 9:30 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 06:00:22PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
>> As far as I am aware, there's not really an automotive apprenticeship
>> program.  If you want a crash course, go to Black's Racing school or
>> similar.  My ex, an amateur drag racer, went to Black's school.
>
> Well I was thinking more along the lines of machine shop / rebuilding
> engines, the same type of stuff you'd do in "shop class" or at a
> vocational/technical school.

In that situation you're pretty much going to get fed as little as
possible of the over-arching theory though, as they are teaching to
the lowest common denominator.  From what I saw of the VoTech classes
I've went through, the people who actually grok those elements are
few and far between and often do not include the teachers.

On the other hand, there are occassion gems.  But you usually have to
put up with a lot of crap as well.  I'd suggest asking around your
friends and co-workers to find a some shade-tree mechanics and start
hanging out with them.  At least that way, you won't have to pay for
the privilege of learning, and in fact might make some if you show an
aptitude.

=Nadine=