[geeks] What's old is new again...

Wed Aug 29 20:11:24 CDT 2007

> Oh, you must be confusing them with solid state amps and the heinous
> switching noise they introduce.  Tube amps only distort when pushed
> beyond operational specs or when the bias is poorly adjusted.

Sounds to me as though you think all solid-state amps suffer the
problems of cheap and/or badly-designed solid-state amps.  For example,
perhaps you think solid-state amps cannot, or at least do not, use
linear power supplies?  And that tube amps cannot, or at least do not,
use switching power supplies?  (Actually, the last of those four - tube
amps ... do not ... - is probably pretty close to true, I'd guess.)

(For that matter, calling them "linear" power supplies is actually
rather a misnomer, since they (almost?) always involve nonlinear
components like diodes, but my impression is that that's the
established term to contrast with switchers.)

					der Mouse