[geeks] What's old is new again...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Wed Aug 29 19:14:41 CDT 2007

Quoth Geoffrey S. Mendelson ...
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 02:25:46PM -0400, Dave K wrote:
>
> > Well I just saw an ad for DDR2 memory with "two rows of eight
> > "chasing" red and green LEDs atop the memory, circulating at varying
> > speeds proportional to usage".
>
> This is better than the motherboard with a vacuum tube on it.  :-)
>
> It was an audio preamp so your music would have "tube sound".

If you put a transistor radio on the CPU cabinet of the NCR 315 I used to
herd at the bank, then executed the right program, the radio would play a
close approximation of "Jingle Bells," then spit a ASCII-art Snoopy calendar
our of the line printer.

The 315 had _lots_ of blinkenlichten, too, as well as a few glow-bottles
here and there.

-Shel