[geeks] generating unique systemids

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Wed Aug 29 18:30:53 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:07:36 -0500
> Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar at liftport.com> wrote:
>>
>> Being treated as a thief is a huge turn-off.  One of our vendors insists
>> on putting their keys on a USB dongle because with a software key we
>> could (potentially) install a new server and not pay for it.
>
> Licenses are not just used to keep a customer from being a thief.
>
> They are also used to make sure that a customer gets the right software when
> they do upgrades, etc.
>
> Don't assume that every use of a license is anti-customer.

It's not so much the 'license' part as the process of getting the
license - or an update OF a license - from some vendors.  I guess you
could say it's the 'vibe' that the process gives off.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

GMT -6
this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Meaningful Work or Death.
Any other form of existence doesn't interest me.

Hugh Macleod