[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 28 09:41:22 CDT 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/08/28 Tue AM 08:55:32 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Discuss this quote...

>Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>> Myself, ever since hearing about them crazy hippies in California,
>>> I've always wanted to do a colocation cooperative. Allow people a
>>> place to actually use their machines - big iron or 1U - and build a
>>> community around it. I think it would be especially neat to have our
>>> own building so that people could have physical access, and so that
>>> we could have different rooms for different purposes, like
>>
>> That sounds good and California is a good place to do it. Lots of
>> people with both the interest and the disposable income to fund it.
>>
>> You might even be able to get a foundation to fund it.
>
>If there was one in New York, I would volunteer, donate and participate.

Reminds me of "community garages" that used to be popular a long time ago - you would rent a service bay (maybe with a lift, maybe not), and there was an owner with a well-stocked parts room (all for sale) and tool room (all for rent/loaned). The idea was you could either run a small auto repair business out of the bay, or work on your own cars...

Such a thing would be nice - there is a real lack of a sense of community in the IT "hobby" - becuse we can meet virtually, we seem to discount face-to-face meetings (personally, I've tried to meet as many list members as possible :^)

Lionel