[geeks] Discuss this quote...

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:00:22 CDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:13:33PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> Why wait?  Start small now.  You'd be surprised at how little it
>> takes to
>> get started on a trade.  The biggest two are usually time and
>> space _not_
>> money.
>
> Lack of time.  Lack of space.  Lack of money. 8-)
>
> I'm talking "six months apprenticeship working under someone" type
> stuff.

Welding is less apprenticeship and more training + practice + certs--
if you have the aptitude, you'll go fast.  A buddy of mine was doing
this back in the late 80's-early 90's, traveling around the country.
He wasn't even welding, he was a helper later a foreman.  He received
per diem pay, plus an hourly wage, and was still getting tax refunds
though he was withholding at the lowest amount (e.g. head of
household with max kids) filing as his single person bracket.

Electrician: 5 yr apprenticeship
Pipe Fitter (Silicon Valley inert gas type stuff): 3 yrs iirc

Plumbing and bricklaying are not as long as electrician, but I don't
know the exact length.  Apprentice pay around $14/hr if you are
lucky, and after hours classes for the "theory".

As far as I am aware, there's not really an automotive apprenticeship
program.  If you want a crash course, go to Black's Racing school or
similar.  My ex, an amateur drag racer, went to Black's school.

=Nadine=