[geeks] generating unique systemids

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Aug 27 16:01:55 CDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 03:51:03PM -0500, Doug McLaren wrote:

>   -- ... but not so easy that most people won't want a new license key
>      for their new hardware.

When I first got a cable modem, almost 7 years ago, I used a system that
restricted the MAC ID I could use. Since then I don't think it matters
any more but that same Intel 10/100 PCI card has been the primary interface
on a sucession of 6 different computers. :-)

Bear in mind that if it's something that would be transfered to a
disaster recovery site, or a new PC in the middle of the night, you
had better have a short term automatic license extension for new hardware,
or 24/7 support.

If it's something that would have a large market, go to any Bit Torrent
or eMule search site and look for "key generator". You will not like
what you see.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838