[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Aug 27 14:22:12 CDT 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:13:33 -0500 (CDT)
"Mike Hebel" <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:

> The steam powered teletype chattered and a message from Bill Bradford
> rolled out in a wad of paper tape...
> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 12:53:46PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> >> "I regularly advocate Mensans to forget about college, take up
> >> welding, and thus get the world by the short hairs. If its money
> >> that matters in the USA (Randy Newman), a trade is the quickest,
> >> most certain, and most independent way to get there. You can read
> >> Kant and Nietzsche very well on your own without a Philosophy prof
> >> making ludicrous suggestions all the time."
> >
> > I"ve often said that if I ever win the lottery and no longer have to
> > work for a living, I'd love to do some apprenticeships in "trade skills";
> > stuff like woodworking, welding, rebuilding car engines, etc.
>
> Why wait?  Start small now.  You'd be surprised at how little it takes to
> get started on a trade.  The biggest two are usually time and space _not_
> money.

Everywhere I've been, money is the prime consideration.

Small operations are, with each passing year, finding life more and more
difficult.

Now the local cities even want people making money at hobbies to start paying
taxes on the stuff they use for their hobby.

Technically I have been illegal for years.

If I actually complied with the law, I'd have been bankrupt years ago.

--
shannon                      | governorrhea: