[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Aug 27 14:14:31 CDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 01:44:29PM -0400, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> Based on my (admittedly limited) experience, I would guess that this is
> due to the fact that you can communicate with others in the organization
> effectively.  If you consider your audience when you talk to them, you
> go from "loony, non-conformist" to "a little different, but seems to
> know what he's talking about".

Exactly.  I got away with a little bit of "not quite a corporate monkeyboy"
because "oh, he's from the Austin office" 8-)

> If you are talking to a CFO to get
> approval for a project, you talk the money end, you give him/her a brief
> synopsis of the problem, and quickly start talking about what it will
> cost and/or how it can save money in the long run.

Or, "I can do $x for free, while a 'professional' solution wouldn't give
us any advantage and would cost $y*10" etc.

> If you are talking to the manager of a department, you talk to him/her
> about how it can make their employees more efficient.

It doesn't hurt that my boss' boss at the time, who is now the worldwide
director of IT, is an ex-sysadmin who believes in standing up for her
troops.  Great person to work for.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford