[geeks] power connector suggestion?

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:08:43 CDT 2007

On Aug 18, 2007, at 9:36 PM, der Mouse wrote:

>>> I suspect they can carry rather more than they can make/break.  Does
>>> this connector need to make/break under load?
>> Not sure what you mean by "make/break"?
>
> "Make (the circuit)" = connect, "break (the circuit)" = disconnect.
> The question is, on the "make" side, will this connector need to deal
> with being plugged in with load present, so that current flows as soon
> as the connector makes contact while being plugged in?  And, on the
> "break" side, will the connector need to deal with being unplugged
> with
> load current flowing?  Or, in each case, will the plug/unplug take
> place only at zero (or very low) current draw?  Some connectors can
> handle substantially more current while connected than they can deal
> with during connect/disconnect, so this distinction may matter.

I think it would be more likely that the power to device cable would
be disconnected when the input power line is not--e.g. no current.
But with users, who can tell?

On the input power side, the power cable would be connected to the
regulator first, then connected to the power source.  However,
there's no switch in between the two so the connection could
potentially be loaded by having devices already connected on the
output side.

The maximum load that could be handled on the output side would be 5V
@ 3.5A.

Thanks for your suggestions--
=Nadine=