[geeks] power connector suggestion?

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Fri Aug 17 20:20:17 CDT 2007

From: "N. Miller" <velociraptor at gmail.com>

> Hopefully some of you folks with electronics building experience make
> a suggestion to me.
>
> I'm trying to building something that needs a "universal power
> connector."  Most of what I am doing I've figured out, but I am not
> familiar enough with various power connectors to really even search
> for what I need.
>
> What I need is something similar to the wall-wart "universal"
> connector they have at RatShack, where you swap out the head of the
> plug for different DC devices.  But, rather than just swapping the
> head, I want to swap a whole cable, as I think this is "safer" to
> prevent potential loss of the cable (vs. a dinky part on the head).
>
> I can find all the plugs to go into devices, but I'm stumped as to
> what to use for the connector at the other end where I am regulating
> power.  The power runs at <=5V, and <=2A.   The connector needs to be:
>
> * snug (pref with a locking tab so as to prevent it vibrating out)
> * small (<= .5" ideally)
> * connector on the power regulation side inside the project box
> * dead obvious (e.g. not look like the DC plug going into the device)
> * rugged (bare pins are out)
>
> Writing this, I'm just realized RJ11 or RJ45 might be potentials--
> anyone know what power levels they can handle? Most of the stuff I've
> looked at on line are either huge (3.2"/>20A monsters) or plain old
> DC power jacks/plugs.  Maybe some variety of 2-pin molex plug if I
> can find one that can be mounted in such a way as to put the stress
> on the enclosure rather than the circuit board.
>
> Thanks for any advice--
> =Nadine=

I don't know if this is any help but in amateur radio, there is a
standardization heading to Anderson Power Pole connectors.  They
are easy to attach, can handle to 40 A with the same shell.  I've
used them in mobile installations and they do not shake loose.
The shell is less than an inch long and about 1/3 inch square.
This is for a single wire. You can dovetail any number of shells
together in various arrays.  The insert thickness varies with
current carrying ability.  They crimp or solder on the end of
the wire.  There are no male or female ends and I believe there
is a way of making the connector a chassis mount too.  Might
be worth looking at.

Bob